Inside: Cute Family Photoshoot Outfit Ideas That Are Unique for Summer, Winter & Fall.
Choosing attire for a photo session is a bit more complex than pulling a few favorites from the depths of your closet. Why? Things that look great in person, don’t always translate on camera. And let’s be real here… Professional photos? They’re an investment! You don’t want to leave your outfit to chance.
The goal is to find a style that’s authentic to your family but feels special at the same time.
Your outfits should be cohesive not “matchy-matchy.”
If your head is spinning, don’t worry. Let’s break the process down step-by-step.
Check out our favorite family photoshoot tips and a collection of stylish family photoshoot outfit ideas.
Tips for Choosing Outfits for Family Photoshoot
Coordinating colors not matching
Long gone are the days of everyone wearing a white shirt and matching. You don’t have to have everyone buy a white shirt and jeans. Allow personalities to shine with colors and patterns. Pick a couple of colors and choose clothes that will fit in this color scheme.
Look at your home decor
This may seem odd. What does your home decor have to do with family picture outfits? A lot actually.
Do you like bright colors? Neutrals? Since you will be hanging these photos in your house you want to make sure the colors of your clothes go with the color scheme of your home.
Say no to characters
Yes, your little one may love their Toy Story shirt but you may want to skip it for the family photo session. Just like patterns, characters on shirts can be pretty distracting. Characters, like too many patterns, can make your photo look too busy.
Textures are your friend
I am a huge fan of a cotton fitted shirt. However, in photographs, I like to add textures like scarves or belts to add a little more to the image. Don’t shy away from different textures.
By adding different textures through the material of your family outfits or your accessories you are adding depth and interest to your photos.
Consider your background
If you are taking photos in front of a backdrop, consider what you are wearing. I remember an image of my husband, myself and baby daughter which was taken in front of a black backdrop. We didn’t realize the background color and showed up wearing black shirts. Once we received the photos it looked as if floating heads were holding a baby.
Think classic for what to wear in family photos
These photos will be hanging on your walls and treasured for years to come. By choosing simple, classic clothes you will help give your images a timeless feel.
Remember the Shoes
Shoes have the power to complete an outfit or completely destroy it! Think about your session location. If you are in a field, for instance, you won’t be able to walk in those stilettos. Avoid bright white shoes, all athletic sneakers, and kids’ shoes with cartoon characters and sparkles. If you just can’t find shoes you love, consider having the family go barefoot for the session (just bring shoes to walk around at the location!).
Family Photoshoot Outfit Ideas
1. Natural Tones with Peachy Accents
2. Rust Orange and Denim
3. Dark Green, Yellow, and Deium: I love how each outfit is totally different but goes perfectly together.
4. Funny Graphic Teens for Family
5. Dressed Up with Lilac Color Scheme
6. Natural Colored Family Portrait Outfit Ideas
7. Kids in All Black with Mom in Leopard
Family Picture Outfits
Cute Outfits for Family Pictures in Spring
8. Cute Spring Outfits in the Woods
9. Light Green Dress for Mom, Pattern Dress for Little Girl, and Natural Button Ups for Boys
10. Parents in Solid with Kids in Pattern
11. Kids in Matching Floral Dresses
12. Various Denim Shades and Patterns
Summer Family Photoshoot Outfit Ideas
13. Light Colored Dresses and Button Up Beach Photo Outfits
14. Dark Denim with Grey for Men and Mom in a Pop of Yellow
15. Subtle but Colorful Outfit Ideas
16. Simple and Light-Colored Clothing Combo
17. Natural Colored Family Portrait Outfit Ideas
Family Photoshoot Outfit Ideas Fall
The most popular time of year to get family photos is during the fall. The leaves are changing and the sun is softer. Plus, you need a new family photo for your holiday cards. Something to consider when choosing fall family picture outfits is the tones of the season.
18. Black, Burnt Orange, and White Color Combos
19. Earth Tones with Dark Green
20. Bright Colored Fall Pallete with Patterns
21. Cute Family Photo Outfits
22. Black and Tan Color Scheme
Family Photoshoot Outfit Ideas Winter
23. Cranberry, Dark Green, and Denim Combo
24. Grey with Black and White Polka Dot
25. Matching Plaid with Wintery Accents
26. Snowy Red and Grey Sweaters
27. Green Themed Winter Photoshoot
Casual Family Photo Outfit
28. Simple and Casual Family Newborn Pictures
29. Casual Family Outfits for Photos
30. Coordinated but Casual Family Photos at Home
31. Jeans and Everyday Wear for Whole Family
32. Green, Tan, and White Outfits
33. Cozy at Home Photoshoot
More Style Inspiration You’ll Love
- If you like these family photoshoot outfit ideas, then check out more cool style inspiration.
- Baby Shower Outfit Ideas – Planning the perfect oufit for a shower can prove to be challenging at times. You want to make sure you are choosing something that flows well with the theme, isn’t too over the top, and compliments the occasion. We have a list of the best baby shower outfit ideas for both guests and mommas-to-be.
- Nashville Outfit Ideas – If you’re looking for trendy Nashville outfits that will rock your trip to Tennessee? Here are some seriously stylish outfit ideas that will make you shine like a Rockstar during your trip to the next budding fashion capital of the world. From fringey goodness to rocking boots, we have a list of the best styles for your trip.
- Anniversary Outfit Ideas – Worried about what to wear to an anniversary dinner? No worries ladies, I’ve got you covered. From stunning dresses to sexy ensembles this list is packed full of great outfit ideas that will leave you and your partner both feeling each other. Check out our favorite styles and find what looks best on you.